Monday, February 27, 2012

Gregg Coffey - Interview by Robbie Brown

 The American Artists Gallery Interview 1/19/12

with Gregg Coffey...

…on his work, inspiration, and visual poetry in the 21st century.

By Robbie Brown, Senior Editor - The American Artists Gallery

I was ready for Gregg Coffey. Not for him to sit for this interview, but for his art to affect my thought process. One can’t view Gregg’s art and look at anything else quite the same again.

I chose Mike Bloomfield and the Butterfield Blues Band’s “East West” as my background music while editing this piece, and those two words sum up Gregg’s artistic vision. He blends East Asian traditional themes with Western rock and roll imagery and multicultural mythology, and bends the limits of his varying media.  In Gregg’s words, “ I make art for my own personal amusement and enlightenment, and if the public gets some inspiration and satisfaction from viewing my work, I am pleased, but essentially, I make images that I can get lost in… alternate worlds to inhabit and explore.”

The members of the American Artists Gallery have been “exploring” and “getting lost in” Gregg’s work for over a week now (since our founding on 1/11/12), and the editors of AAG felt it was time to explore his mind…

American Artists Gallery: Tell us about the moment you realized you were an artist.

Gregg Coffey: I had drawing skills in grade school, but they wouldn't let me take art in high school, because I was college prep, and art class was for "losers". By my junior year, a new school had been built, with a massive art campus, and a brilliant new teacher. They let me take art, and the teacher took me under his wing.... he even drove me around to colleges. I do remember being a sophomore in college, and a date asked me if I was a real artist, and I realized that I was not. Luckily, I found my voice my senior year. I went from a photo realist to a biomorphic surrealist.

AAG: Please explain biomorphic surrealism for our readers, and tell us why you describe your work with that term.

GC: Biomorphism was coined by Alfred Barr in 1936, and it is the usage of artistic design elements based on naturally occurring patterns and shapes from nature, such as fractals. Antonio Gaudi's architecture could be seen as biomorphic.  The Surrealist movement, founded by Andre Breton, focused on the artist penetrating the collective unconscious and dreams for inspiration.

AAG: Well then, it's pretty obvious why you describe your work with that term, actually…

GC: I had a teacher in the BFA program at IU who, on the first day of class told us that our paintings were boring, and that we should leave our studios for a month and paint at home. I converted an attic into a studio and decided to work on round canvases because we don't see in squares. I had been a photo realist, and, knowing that I had to paint something completely different, I let the paintings paint themselves. I always looked at it as jazz improvisation. The piece I am working on now seems to have a life of its own; I am just guiding it through a loose set of parameters, those being the Golden Mean and Melancholia by Albrecht Durer. Over the years Asian elements and mathematics have imposed their will, as well as Celtic, Shang, Tlingit and other tribal tendencies have acted as an influence.

AAG: Your work involves religious and mythological images, but it also evokes 60’s rock concert poster and underground newspaper art. Can you tell me about that intersection and your influences that inform those styles?

GC: I was raised in a Christian family, and they all, eventually became atheists, agnostics and Buddhists. I minored in religion, but it was pre Vedic Hinduism and Sufism. I started doing kundalini yoga in college, and after college I attended Naropa Institute, where I studied Tibetan Buddhism. Previous to that I worked for Pacific and Hall designing concert posters, and I did several covers for underground newspapers. I have always been interested in mythology. I took a fair amount of post graduate courses in Irish folklore and mythology. If you consider that I started college in 1968, got swept up in the anti war movement, and it was truly the greatest period of rock, all those influences would impact me. I began eight years of formal Chinese brush painting lessons, eventually landing me in San Francisco to study with Lui Sang Wong. He moved to Taiwan, and I entered the printmaking department at SFSU. I still feel all of the influences, especially Asian and Celtic, but my science and geometry background, and love of MC Escher influence the work in sort of a Cubist or Futurist vein.

AAG: Your paintings on musical instruments are superb.

GC: I have always been interested in music. I started as a rock drummer, then a jazz drummer, then tabla and dumbek. Later, I started playing guitar, bouzouki and Irish penny whistle. I was working as an artist in residence in Indiana schools, so I decided to build instruments as a demonstration. I have built an Irish wire strung harp, a 13 string lute, a balalaika and a mandolin. While in Chicago I studied West African drumming for 3 years, and before that I played in a band, the Scurrilous Blaggerds, for several years. We performed Irish, Scottish, English and maritime music with a Pogues feel.

AAG: And you’re in a show coming up this weekend...

GC: I am in a show on Friday, REVOLUTION 2012, at the Jackson-Junge Gallery. It is a political show, and I happened to do my occasional political work, "Accidental Bovine", a mixed media work commenting on Arab Spring, Tea Party and Western warmongering.

 AAG: Have a great showing, Gregg, and thanks for taking the time to sit with us.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites