Friday, March 16, 2012

Lisa Aerts - Interview by KokoDiablo

The American Artists Gallery Interview 3/17/12

with Lisa Aerts...

...on her art, motivation, and the simplicity of timing.

by KokoDiablo, South West Regional Editor - The American Artists Gallery

 
I recently had the pleasure of visiting with painter Lisa Aerts about her life as an artist.  What a treat to learn more about this woman who creates such lovely images of flora, fauna, and landscapes.  Her use of color and texture paints such a powerful mood and tone.  Lisa’s portraits of animals have an anthropomorphic quality that speaks to society and the human condition.  Her work can be found at Art by Lisa Aerts on eBay and Art by Lisa Aerts on Etsy. I hope you enjoy learning more about Lisa!

KokoDiablo: What's your medium? Can you describe your daily work routine?

Lisa Aerts: I use oils, watercolors, pen and ink, acrylics, pastels...my favorite though, has to be oils. I believe because it’s a medium I've used for a little over 3 years, so I still consider myself a student, and the colors, always the colors. My work day usually starts around 12 noon; depends on when I can get off the computer. I have my studio in my garage, so it’s nice to be able to stop and take a break and get lunch for my daughter. Back painting till 3:30, and then I'm inside for the night.  Later, after dinner, I'll work with watercolors, pen and ink, or pastels...

KD: How do you get past creative blocks?

LA: I haven't had a creative block....yet. But if I did, I suppose I would try to enjoy what was around me, and hope the creative juices would flow back.

KD: When, or what event made you consider yourself an artist?

LA:  About four years ago, I wanted to try and sell small paintings for children on-line (ebay). I had been a stay at home mom for 17 years, and I never thought of myself as an artist [or] someone that could draw, but maybe I could make some money for what I had [been] painting for my daughter... animals, cartoon characters, etc., that I used to decorate her room.

I had never sold anything in my life, I had never done an oil, or painted a landscape, but I tried, and then something happened, I started painting...everything... things I had never tried before, mediums I had never used, I just had to try, and I haven't been able to stop.

I am an artist, which is the most amazing thing in my life besides my daughter.

KD:  If you had a superpower what would it be?

LA: My super power would be flying... I hate planes, so this would make traveling so much easier...

KD: How would you like to be remembered as an artist?

LA:  If I'm remembered for anything, it would be… [the concept that] it’s never too late to try to live your dream.







4 comments:

Lisa, you are so inspiring!! Your work is so beautiful and full of amazing warmth, color, and feeling...why, I could just drink it in!! Thank you for sharing! This intervied was fantastic Karly!

Brilliant... what i particularly love is the sense of delight and comfortableness that comes through between the lines. There is nothing more attractive in an artist than a desire to express themselves and the sense of enjoyment that exudes from their work. I get the sense of great delight in these artworks and the interview confirms it. I also love the zest to explore... thank you for sharing a bit of yourself in this interview Lisa and I really appreciate the opportunity to see deeper into the artists mind and intent.

Very good, Lisa and Karly. I was hoping to learn a little more about the tranquility that each of your paintings holds. I was surprised to read how new you are to art - I guess you're a 'natural'. I wish the interview was longer, but I was very pleased - wishing you continued success, Lisa!

Thank you so much Karly and American Artists Gallery, I'm truly honored. Thank you Sandy, Wendy, and Charles for your lovely comments, I thank you you all very much! Lisa Aerts

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites