Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dana Helmig - Interview by Oddist Jones

The American Artists Gallery Interview 2/4/12

with Dana Helmig...

...on her art, her inspiration, and her dream.

by Oddist Jones, South East Regional Editor - The American Artists Gallery

Dana Helmig is a mother,  teacher, and an artist. Her work covers a broad spectrum and is not limited to any one medium or style. It is emotional and surreal and touches on impressionism, tribalism and mysticism. Her paint palette is often warm and fiery like the breath of a mythical dragon, which also happens to be the year she was born in under the Chinese zodiac. Aside from wonderful works rendered in paint Dana takes amazing photos of the natural world around her. Frogs, butterflies, flora and fauna of all kinds are her subjects and she captures them beautify. This astounding self- taught artist also uses Photoshop to create amazing images. Some are dark, some are romantic and quite a few show a very whimsical side.
I had the great pleasure of getting to take some time asking her a few questions and getting to know her better. I am pleased to present to you the results of that time spent together. So no more from me, I know what you are here for. Ready or not, here is my interview. Enjoy reading it as much as I did conducting it.

Oddist Jones: Dana, your work is so diverse and interesting. Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Dana Helmig: My inspiration for my wildlife art comes from my love of nature. I grew up in the country, an only child, spending a lot of time amongst the trees and the creatures of the forest. My inspiration for my tribal type art comes directly from my emotions. They are like a diary on canvas; a peek into my psyche so to speak. Sometimes they reveal a little too much.

OJ: I really love your Photoshop work. How long have you been using the program and are there any others you like to work with?

DH: Thank you.  I have been using Photoshop for 13 years and am self-taught. For the most part I use myself as subject [matter] because it is another way to express my emotions. I have only used Photoshop. I am very happy with the software; it is versatile. I swear by Adobe products.

OJ: You also take some amazing nature photos. Can you tell us what type of camera you use and how you typically go about getting your wonderful shots?

DH: I am self-taught in photography, as well. I have only taken one photography class. I use a Canon Rebel XTi 400d. I usually go on nature hikes like to nature reserves in the area or wherever I might be going, such as on vacations. Where ever I go I try to find a nature reserve; that is where I get my best photos. Though some photos are taken in my own yard.

OJ: And finally Dana, where do you see yourself as an artist in say the next 5 years?

DH: I can only hope that I will have found a way to sell my artwork and that I have my own art shop by the water somewhere. That is my dream.

OJ: Thank you so very much for spending this time with me Dana. I wish you much peace and prosperity in 2012 ;;D

 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites